Second Grade has three classrooms. Each classroom has two teachers. Get to know them a little bit below.
2A - Mrs. Palma & Melissa
2B - Ms. Schlossberg & Mr. M
2C- Ms. Rosenfeld & Ms. Becca
Get to know your teachers a little bit...
Hello ICS families!
I am so thrilled for this upcoming year, for it will be my first year teaching second grade after five years of teaching Kindergarten! This will also be my third year at ICS! Previously I taught in New Haven, Connecticut in the bilingual department. I’ve also taught English and photography workshops in Argentina, Guatemala, and Ghana. I graduated from New York University with a B.A in Latin American Studies and received my teacher certification in K-6 from Southern Connecticut State University. I am currently getting my Masters in Elementary Grades 1-5 Education from John Hopkins University. I am so excited to learn more about you and your child's interests and to integrate them into our learning community. I look forward to sharing this upcoming school year with you, I'm certain it will be a fun-filled adventurous year.
Fun Facts about Mrs. Palma
- I got married over the summer (most students know me as Ms. Vicente).
- I was born in Guatemala and moved when I was 5 years old to New York.
- I’ve been vegetarian for 10 years.
- I live on Long Island
- I don’t have a sense of smell.
- I have backpacked through Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Peru, Ecuador, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Belize, Guatemala, Ghana, and Ivory Coast.
- I love to hike (my favorite trek has been the Machu Picchu trail!)
Hello ICS families! This is my third year at ICS. Previously, I was a paraprofessional in KC and a teacher’s assistant in KD with Ms. Palma. I've student taught in a first grade classroom at P.S. 133, taught after school classes and was a site supervisor at Congregation Beth Elohim Day Camp, interned at both The Research Foundation for SUNY Downstate Infant and Child Learning Center and The State of New York Supreme IDV Court, and lastly, completed numerous fieldwork observations in different educational settings throughout my college experience. I recently graduated from Brooklyn College with a Bachelor degree in Early Childhood Special Education and a Bachelor degree in Children and Youth Studies. I am excited to share this upcoming school year with you and forming relationships with both our students and you, to ensure that each student reaches beyond his or her full potential.
Fun Facts about Ms. Melissa
- I was born in Brooklyn, my parents are from Barbados and Panama.
- My interest include cooking, reading, dancing, and spending time with my family and friends.
- I love to travel and play mas in different countries.
- I love to zipline.
- I tried to be a vegan for 3 months but I stopped because I love eggs and yogurt.
I grew up in Asheville, NC and received my degree at The University of South Carolina in Elementary Education. I have taught in Thailand, Vermont, and here in New York for the past three years. I enjoy running, doing yoga, spending time outside and with my friends and family. I also love creating fun projects, painting and taking photographs. I believe in teaching the whole child and encouraging students to ask questions about the world so that they can be successful members of our society!